My favourite way to use digital tools in my classroom

My favourite way to use digital tools in a classroom is the simplest. I love those incidental moments when students reach as naturally for the device as they would for a pen (and the teacher doesn’t impede). In this learning moment, students were reading the inspirational poem “Magic Box” by Kit Wright. It was using all sorts of poetic references to concepts unfamiliar to my 10 year old budding writers.

“The Bluest waters of Lake Lucerne”, “high-rolling breakers of the wild Atlantic”, “the swish of a silk sari…”

"I shall surf in my box, on the great high-rolling breakers of the wild Atlantic".

“I shall surf in my box, on the great high-rolling breakers of the wild Atlantic”.

My students couldn’t find these terms in their Junior Macquarie dictionaries, so they were quickly googling saris, breakers and Lake Lucerne and jumping up to project their discoveries over the data projector.

Opportunities such as these vastly impact our students’ depth of understanding when tackling difficult texts and the chance to use digital tools unfettered helps them to become empowered self-actualizing learners.